Monday, January 19, 2015

Was I Really That Lame?

So I tried something I probably shouldn’t have today…yup, I searched through my past tweets. #Embarrassing

       In order to truly see how embarrassed I am by myself, I need to include a few screenshots of some past tweets. “Past Me” put way too many personal problems on the Internet. Who really needs to know what my mom said to me that day, and who needs to see my inside jokes that are irrelevant to almost every single viewer? Did I really think anyone enjoyed seeing me bitch about my problems? Or that it was cool to basically talk to myself on a social network? No and no, obviously. Apparently I didn’t see that at the time though! These are so embarrassing I really should consider deleting the majority of my 4,000+ tweets. And that brings me to another thing. How much tweeting is too much? Well, there is no exact answer, but if you post the way I did in 2012, it’s TOO MUCH. Honestly, if it is over two tweets a day on average, you need to find something better to do. No one will like you. No one. It’s harsh but it’s true.
                                               

        Looking back at this from a more mature perspective, posting a lot of dumb tweets did not make me look cool like I had intended. If anything, I pushed people to hit the ‘unfollow’ button. No one likes being annoyed. Trust me, I would do it to other people when they would annoy me. I don’t see why I felt it necessary to try to prove myself on a social media network. I guess I didn’t feel comfortable with the person I actually was.  Now, when I look at myself, I like it. I don’t have to prove myself  to anyone. If you like me, that’s cool, and if you don’t, well I’m not going to change myself just to please someone else. Luckily, in age came a little more sense for me. Thank God. As I look at my most recent tweets I was pleased with what I saw. I finally stopped complaining and advertising my life to the world. My tweets were filled with retweets of funny and famous pages or cute pictures. Thank God I finally realized that people do not need to know every aspect of my life! I used to be a total try hard! How did I not see it?!




3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the dangers of social media at too young of an age! ;-) I think most of us can relate to this. Although it's embarrassing, I think it's interesting to see what parts of our life we felt the need to document/share online. To look on the bright side, at least you can celebrate how much you have changed since you first got twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have tweeted some silly things that I'm not proud of! I take solace in the fact that I'm really good at laughing at myself, so while I was re-reading my early tweets I just chuckled at myself and moved on. I probably still tweet irrelevant nonsense though, just less often than I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya on this. I am glad I deleted my old facebook (god forbid anyone ever dig it up) because looking back I feel like I did and said literally 0 things that were interesting.
    Although, I am now considering peeing with a tail.. assuming it is a human and they have to sit on a toilet... that could certainly be a problem...
    But I digress, I love your set up for this post and the examples your showed. I think our experiences on posting irrelevant things is not an uncommon practice amongst the youngsters. Just wait till we turn 25 and look back.

    ReplyDelete